Thursday, April 1, 2010

My One Mile Challenge

Welcome to my One Mile Challenge blog! This is the introduction of my 2010 goal to strengthen my legs so I can walk one mile without resting or assistance. One mile might not seem like a lot, but because I have Congenital Mysthenic Syndrome (CMS), a form of muscular dystrophy, it's actually a pretty big challenge.

The reason behind my interest in this is that Josh and I will be going on our honeymoon on January 8, 2011. We will be cruising through the Eastern Caribbean, stopping at several different ports. While a cruise probably seems very relaxing, I really anticipate there being a lot of walking, due to the large ship we will be on, and the excursions we will go on when we dock. So, I want to strengthen my legs so I can do all the walking I want!

I am hoping this challenge isn't completely out of reach. When I studied abroad in Oaxaca my junior year of college, I had to walk everywhere, and as a result, I increased my stamina. When I left, I could walk at least twice as far as I could when I arrived.

So, I hope you will follow my quest to walk one mile! I will be officially starting my challenge next Thursday, April 8. That will mark exactly 9 months from the date we leave for our cruise.

I anticipate I will need to be cheered on, so any words of encouragement you can provide me will be greatly appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. Yay Kelly!! You can do it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will cheer you on, Kelly! I'll be a walking buddy too:) Love, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO proud of you Kelly and I will walk with you any time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cool goal Kel! I am sure you can do it.

    ReplyDelete