Monday, April 12, 2010

Back At It!

Well, today I felt better and decided I had to take advantage of the unexpected beautiful weather we had. I think I may have kicked my ear infection so I called my mom and we went for a walk on the walking track behind the Willamette Valley Medical Center. They have a nice cushion-y track behind the facility for staff (and the public) to use, and we took advantage of it. It was gorgeous! Not only was it warm, but there was just enough of a breeze, and we got to take in all of the incredible clouds around us. Half of the sky was full of beautiful white fluffy clouds, and the the other half was shrouded in HUGE dark, ominous looking gray clouds. The contrast was incredible, and because the rain never came, it made for a beautiful walk.

The track is really cool and is a great place for me to walk because there are benches at either side of the path, which is in a regular track shape, but is only 1/8 of a mile. Today I walked 4 laps, which equals about half a mile. It was a bit difficult though because not only am I getting over my ear infection and virus, but I also worked through lunch, ran to the bank and then home for only a second to change before I picked mom up. So, I didn't get to really rest at all. So I walked two laps (1/4 mile) before we had to rest. Then we rested on a bench, talked wedding, walked another lap, rested and continued the wedding talk and then walked a final lap. I know that if I had rested a bit before starting that I could have walked much further. Nevertheless, it was a good workout!

I am definitely going to go back to take advantage of the trail. It is the perfect set up, and if I am ever walking alone I can just bring my ipod and know that I am walking in a safe, open area. I definitely recommend it.

Happy walking! Hopefully the weather will stay nice this week so I can make up for the three days I missed.

NOTE: Scott Schieber brought to my attention that it's a quarter mile track, not the 1/8 of a mile like I thought! It even says it on the hospital's web site, and I'm not sure how I missed that. So, I walked a mile today! I rested twice, but I still did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment