Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day One

And we're out of the gate! Today I started the challenge with my mom Leslie, fusband (future husband) Josh and roommate Janna at the track by Duniway and Newby. We were pleasantly surprised by the sun, and although it was windy and quite chilly, we were lucky to have no rain!

I wasn't feeling that great because of a likely ear infection, but the lack of precipitation really motivated me to start, as did my blog and you, my followers! So I stuffed my ears with cotton to keep the cold wind out, tied my new Nikes and we drove over to the track.

There were other walkers there when we got there, but other than that we had the track to ourselves. I had absolutely no idea how far I could walk, but I am pleased to say that on my first day I could walk 1 3/4 laps (4 laps is a mile)! We kept our pace pretty steady, not too fast, and by the time I got to that last quarter of the track, I was getting pretty tired. But, overall I am pleased to know that on a cold, windy April evening, after a long day at work and even being slightly sick, that I can walk almost half a mile!

I have to admit, this is not scientific in any way. We started at a random place on the track and when we stopped, we estimated we were 3/4 of the way around the track. So while I don't know EXACTLY how far I walked, I know it was a little less than half way to my goal. And that's good enough for me! I'm not really concerned about inches and a few feet.

Today was really just an experimental day anyway.

I also think I am going to post what I plan to do in the next few days, that way I can't back out of it just because I want to sleep in, or finish watching a marathon of America's Next Top Model. :)

UP NEXT:
Saturday: 10 am Vinyasa at Yogis
Sunday: Long walk, weather permitting (if not, mom and dad's elliptical)

Here are some pictures:



Before our walk. Not sure why Josh is scowling.

Super excited to get started!

Resting after I got tired...

My walking group (by the modular classrooms - pretty, I know!)

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, this is great! Congrats on getting started... I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you can do it!

    ReplyDelete