Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 13: Solo Walk

Today I walked another mile! I returned to the Willamette Valley Medical Center track by myself and really enjoyed it. It was another beautiful day (although quite windy) and there really was no excuse NOT to go walking!

So while I walked a mile again today, I had to rest more than yesterday. This time, I only made it 1 1/2 laps before I had to sit, and then I had to sit after every consecutive lap. So, it wasn't as good as it was yesterday, but I still did it.

One thing I need to keep in mind is that while I couldn't do what I did yesterday, it was still beneficial and I still walked a mile. I have found that to be the biggest mental obstacle I have. I get discouraged when I can't walk the same distance as I did the day before, but really I need to get past that. There are so many factors throughout the day that affect how I feel and how far I can walk, and I can never control them so it's the same every day. Things like what I ate and when, how much I slept the night before, how stressful the day was, what workout I did in the morning, how much did I rest before I started walking, and on and on. So really, I need to stop being discouraged when I can't walk the exact same distance without resting two days in a row. The fact that I walked another mile is still great and it means my goal isn't too far away!

So, in summary:
Miles walked: 1 (approximately)
Rests: 3 (once after 1 1/2 laps, second after 2 1/2 laps, third after 3 1/2 laps)
When: 40 minutes (4:40 to 5:30)
Where: Willamette Valley Medical Center public track
Weather: Sunny, mid 60s, wind
Walking partner: iPod (This American Life podcast)

*Note: Even though Scott says it is, and so does the hospital web site, for some reason it just doesn't seem long enough to be a 1/4 mile track! So I walked the very perimeter. :)

1 comment:

  1. This American Life podcast definitely gets me through exhausting workouts... Congrats on all your hard work, Kelly, I can't think of anyone who deserves the wonderful payoff more!
    -Courtney T.

    ReplyDelete