Sunday, November 10, 2013

Perspective

Years before my blog turned into Kelly's Sustainable Life, it started as a blog to capture my summer as an intern for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (fitting, right?!) in Pleasanton, California.

The other day I was reading old posts while on a trip down memory lane and I came across one that I wrote toward the end of my internship that I want to share. 
The post is about the experience I had at MDA's Summer Camp. Summer Camp is a way for kids who have muscular dystrophy to be "real" kids for a week. 
When I was a kid I refused to go to MDA summer camp. I don't know if it was because I was scared, or just didn't want to be labeled as "disabled" but I was adamant about not going, and my parents never pressured me to. Sometimes I wish I had, but I'm at least grateful that I was able to finally experience it, even if it was in my 20's.
Originally written Sunday, August 24, 2008
 I had the most amazing day last Thursday. As part of my job I got to go to MDA's annual summer camp for local patients. It was in Occidental, which was about 2 1/2 hours away so it was quite the drive, but it was absolutely beautiful. It was so peaceful and quiet and I loved it. The camp was incredible too. At first I was a little uncomfortable around the kids, but as the day wore on I felt better. Some kids could walk on their own, some had wheelchairs when they got tired and some kids were completely dependent on their wheelchairs. It broke my heart to see some kids unable to speak or move because their muscles were so weak.
 

Despite this, the greatest part was that every kid (with the exception of one cranky little boy) was so happy! They participated in as many activities as they could, and their counselors were encouraging them every step along the way. I met a lot of really sweet kids who were having the greatest time. 

What is amazing about MDA camp is that every activity is accessible for all of the kids, wheelchair bound or not. Even the pool was equipped to hoist kids from their wheelchairs into the water. It was truly an amazing and emotional experience to see kids who can't walk on their own swim in the water. I know that time in the pool is the only thing those kids can do without the aid of another person. Tears sprang to my eyes when I saw those kids in the water, and tears come to my eyes as I write this!

Really, I can't explain how wonderful and emotional camp was. It really hit home for me. My whole life I have been the only one I know (except for Corey) who has had to live with muscular dystrophy, and I have always been the one who has been limited because of my disability. There have been many times in my life where I have been so discouraged and angry that I have to live with a CMS, that I lose sight of what I can do. I have a post-it on my mirror that says 'a disability is not an inability" and I really believe that. There were so many kids at camp who couldn't walk on their own or even talk. 


That made me realize how thankful I should be for the life I can live! I mean, today Stephanie and I walked all around San Francisco and sure, I had to rest every few blocks, but I could still do it! So what if I had to sit down? That's a small price to pay. Some of the kids at camp will be dependent on other people for the rest of their lives, and I have the freedom to go many places on my own and experience life how I want to. It really puts my own frustrations and my own condition in perspective. Sure, I know it is okay for me to be upset when I can't do something, or when my legs hurt, but now I will always think of little Hannah, who can't even smile, or Alex, who can't move anything below his neck, or Victor, who can only walk a few feet without someone's help, and be thankful for what I can do.

It's amazing to think that 24 hours could change how I feel about living with CMS, but it has! I know some days will be hard, but I will always think of the kids I met at Camp and how, no matter what their physical limitation, they were still so happy. I am so thankful and I feel blessed to be alive and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment